New Zealand Contract Bridge Association - The New Zealand Contract Bridge Association was formed in 1936 and is the official body for contract bridge in New Zealand. It is a member of the South Pacific Zone of the World Bridge Federation. Presently there are 112 affiliated contract bridge clubs in New Zealand and contact details for each club can be found on the clubs link. Clubs are divided into six geographic centres: Auckland, Waikato/Bays, Central Districts, Wellington, Canterbury, Otago/Southland.

 

New Zealand Contract Bridge For Youth - To be eligible to compete in a Youth event a player must, at the most, have their 26th birthday in the calendar year in question.

Prizes and Awards for Youth Players

Leonard A. Helman Prize

In 1999, Rabbi Helman, an American lawyer and prominent bridge enthusiast and philanthropist, donated US$5,000 to establish the Leonard A. Helman Prize which is awarded to the two youth players earning the most masterpoints in New Zealand Association events in a calendar year. No individual can win the Award more than once.

The awards are presented at the National Bridge Congress in Hamilton during the first week of July each year. The 2005 award was won by Nick Fung (Auckland) with 69.74 'A' points and 12.70 'B' points and John Whyte (Waikato) with 63.82 'A' points and 11.98 'B' points.

To be considered for this award players must be on the NZCBA Youth Database, so they can be identified as eligible.

The NZCBA is very grateful to Rabbi Helman for this gift to its youth players and will use this as a basis to build and promote youth bridge in New Zealand.

 

Jean Peche Memorial

This award is donated by Mr. George Peche in the year 2010, who is of New Zealand, but who relocated from the country of Ireland around the year 1976. His donation serves to promote New Zealand Youth Bridge. The award is named in honor of his wife Jean Peche. The award is made to the most promising Under 21 Player based on performance during the prior calendar year.

This award is not based solely on masterpoints achieved in the prior calendar year but also includes a subjective assessment of ability and bridge achievements made at the sole discretion of the board in consultation with the Trustees of the New Zealand Bridge Foundation. The successful nomination(s) are determined by the New Zealand Bridge Board in consultation with the Trustees of the New Zealand Bridge Foundation. There may be more than one winner each year, or it may be determined that no award be made in any year. The Jean Peche Award presentation is made by the New Zealand Bridge Foundation at the Congress Awards Function.

 

StepBridge Australia - StepBridge is the only Australian based internet bridge club. StepBridge is a full Australian Bridge Federation affiliated club. This implicates that the player can make StepBridge his Home Club in case the player is looking for a club to register his ABF Masterpoints.

Arkana Bridge Club - Akarana Bridge Club and The Teams Group have now merged! This site has been designed mainly to give members information about upcoming events and to provide contact details for members. The Akarana Bridge Club has been affiliated to the NZCBA since 1969.

Akaroa Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Auckland Bridge Club - The Auckland Bridge Club was founded in the year 1931. The clubrooms were in rented premises in the NZI building in Queen Street, later in His Majesty's Arcade, then in the Pacific building (now ASB). In the year 1959 the club finally built it's own premises in Airedale Street. In September 1971, exactly 40 years after it's foundation, the club built the premises in Remuera.

Cambridge Contract Bridge Club - In the year 1976 a group of keen locals started playing bridge in the Cambridge Trotting complex. Rosemary Stevenson was elected the first President of the Cambridge Contract Bridge Club. This group later shifted premises to the St. Andrews Church Hall. As membership grew the need for club rooms was paramount and the members worked hard to raise the necessary funds with debentures, and many fundraising activities the original clubrooms were built on the current site in 1982.

Christchurch Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Crockfords Bridge Club - In the year 1934 a small group of card players met in the Federal Hotel and decided to form a bridge club. The name Crockfords came from the club in London. Premises were leased by the Club in the Press Company building in Cathedral Square, where the Club remained for 10 years. The next move was to Stewart Dawson's building in High Street. In the year 1952 the Christchurch Bridge Club was relocated to the present site.

Below is a picture of the Crockford Bridge Club taken June 1934 at the Christchurch Press Building.

 

Dannevirke Bridge Club - Dannevirke Bridge Club is affiliated to NZBridge. and so forms part of the New Zealand wide organisation of bridge players in this country.

East Coast Bays Bridge Club - The club is situated in Mairangi Bay on Auckland's North Shore. The club caters for players of all levels.

Franklin Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player. Blog.

Gisborne Contract Bridge Club - We aim to provide a great bridge experience for members and visitors as well as friendly and helpful instruction for newcomers to this great card game.

Hamilton Contract Bridge Club - The Hamilton Contract Bridge Club is a progressive bridge club. It was established in the year 1952. The club is located in Hamilton city near the Waikato Stadium.

Hastings Bridge Club - Hawkes Bay New Zealand - The inaugural year was 1964. Competitive play began in February 1965 in St Luke's Hall, Havelock North. After moving a house, kindly donated by Mr. and Mrss Baillie, to our present site at 911 Railway Road, Hastings, the rooms were opened in November 1965 only one year after incorporation.

Havelock North Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Hibiscus Coast Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player, especially for those living in the area of Whangaparaoa.

Howick Bridge Club - Founded in the year 1965 the inaugural event, owing to the efforts of Tom Everatt, occurred in May 1965. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player. History.

Huntly Bridge Club - Founded on June 30, 1962. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Hutt Bridge Club Inc. - The Hutt Bridge Club was founded in 1966 by Messrs. McCarroll and Watson. The club was established at the Shandon Golf Club rooms, but moved to more permanent premises in Huia Street in August 1968.

Invercargill Contract Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Kairangi Bridge Club Inc. - The Kairangi Bridge Club Inc. provides a community facility for the South-Eastern suburbs of Wellington City for playing and learning the game of bridge. The Club is affiliated to New Zealand Bridge (formerly the New Zealand Contract Bridge Association).

Kapi Mana Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Karori Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Levin Contract Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Masterton Bridge Club - The Masterton Bridge Club was founded on 18th August 1961 and members met in various places until the purchase of the club rooms in Villa Street in late 1969. Bridge commenced at these premises in April 1970.

Matamata Contract Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Mount Maunganui Bridge Club - The club was founded in 1964 and met in members homes at first. After a variety of hired premises the members organised funds to build their own club rooms and the existing club rooms were opened in 1978.

New Plymouth Contract Bridge Club Inc. - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Napier Contract Bridge Club - A club was formed being called the H.B. Contract Bridge Club to play Duplicate Bridge in H.B. in 1951. A Special Meeting of H.B Bridge Players on 14th September 1964 was held when it was decided that the time had come to form separate clubs in Napier and Hastings. Bridge started 17th of February 1965 with A & B grade evenings, and one afternoon session in various rented premises till 25th March 1965 when 169 Wellesley Road was purchased and play was held in three separate rooms. In 1966 a building fund was started and by 1st July 1968 a tender was accepted for $13.784 and the Napier City Council granted permission to build clubrooms at Whitmore Park, Nuffield Avenue, Napier where the existing building now stands. The deputy Mayor with City Councillors & wives opened the Clubrooms on 14th of October 1968.

Nelson Contract Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

North Shore Bridge Club - North Shore Bridge Club was founded in 1957 and has occupied its present premises for over twenty years. The club rooms at Killarney Reserve, Takapuna, New Zealand are set in the reserve overlooking Lake Pupuke.

Orewa Bridge Club Inc. - Orewa Bridge Club was established in 1981 through the generosity of Miss Winsome Bach, who became its first president. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Otago Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Palmerston North Bridge Club - The club was formed in 1946 with Dr. Hugh Whitehead, Head of Dairy Research Institute, as first President. The Women's County Club which was in Roscoe's now the Public Library had a Bridge playing section. The club first played in the Young Women's Christian Association hall which was in Church Street where Beaurepairs tyre firm is now situated.

Papakura Contract Bridge Club - In February 1959 the Papakura Bridge Club was formed. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Paraparaumu Bridge Club - The Kapiti Duplicate Bridge Club was officially formed on July 12, 1968 when five full tables of players gathered at the Safari Coffee Lounge. 1969 saw the club affiliated to the Wellington Bridge Centre and master points were awarded. In 1973 the club's name was changed to Paraparaumu Beach Bridge Club, and later to Paraparaumu Bridge Club Inc.

Richmond Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Rotorua Contract Bridge Club Inc. - Formed in the year 1955, the club is situated near the centre of town, in a large park just off the highway to Whakatane and Te Puke / Tauranga (Te Ngae Road). Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Royal Epsom Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Taieri Bridge Club - The Taieri Bridge Club was formed in 1973. As it continued to grow it moved into its own Club rooms at the corner of Wickliffe and Church Streets in in Mosgiel in 1986.

Taradale Bridge Club - In January 1975 a group of enthusiastic Bridge players decided that there was enough interest to form a Bridge Club for Taradale. A meeting was called and presided over by Mavis Murphy. The Taradale Bridge Club was formed and met to play Bridge at the Bowling Club.

Taupo Contract Bridge Club - Situated in the centre of the North Island on the shores of beautiful Lake Taupo, the Bridge Club was formed in 1970 and the first playing session was held at the historic Lake Hotel on September 9,1970.

Tauranga Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Te Awamutu Contract Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Upper Hutt Bridge Club - The Upper Hutt Bridge Club was incorporated in 1969 and commenced card play on the first floor of the Cricket Pavilion located within Maidstone Park. From 1971 the club tenanted rooms on the first floor of premises known as Taylor House, located in Princess Street, where it remained for nine years. The club was able obtain a licence to occupy a section of land at the western end of Pine Avenue and with the assistance of members both financially and by way of voluntary labour, designed and occupied the present clubrooms in December 1980.

Victoria Bridge Club - The Victoria Bridge Club was established in the year 1954. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Waikato Contract Bridge Club Inc. - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Waikanae Bridge Club - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Waipukurau Bridge Club Inc. - Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Waitemata Bridge Club - The Bridge Club was started in the year 1968. Contains all pertinent information for the bridge player.

Warkworth Bridge Club - In 1968 two new residents to the town put an advertisement in the local paper to see what interest there was in forming a Bridge club. We were granted a lease by the Rodney District Council of the old Town Library Building in the year 1996. The bridge club became affiliated to the N.Z.C.B.A. in 1990.

Wellington Bridge Club Inc. - An advertisement was inserted in the Evening Post in 1934 by Mr Otto Glen-Doepel with a plea for anyone interested to contact him. By March 1935 membership numbered 250 names and the Elm Tree Rooms, above McKenzie's department store in Willis Street, was the bridge club's first home. The first year's membership stabilised at 120 players and apart from the years of World War II this figure remained constant until the world-wide bridge boom of the mid 1960's.

 


     
email convention
Email Conventions Bridge Sites
     
home back home
Home Page I International Home Page II